The ‘clinically dead’ runner fell to return the favor to those who saved his life


HEROIC: Tommy pictured with his friend Max alongside Keswick MRT. (Right) Rescue mission. Credit: Keswick MRT.

A MOUNTAIN rescue team has shared the incredible story of a rescue mission that has now come full circle, with the injured man now running the London Marathon on behalf of volunteers who saved his life.

On January 6, the Keswick Mountain Rescue Team attended their second call of the year, a report from 26-year-old runner Tommy Price, who had suffered cardiac arrest caused by severe hypothermia following of blisters on Hall’s Fell.

Tommy, who was close to the first stage of a Bob Graham Round practice race, was unable to continue the relatively short remaining descent through the village of Hall’s Fell to the village of Threlkeld, with his friend Max, current to sound the alarm of the current situation.

A spokesperson for Keswick MRT said the initial search party found the victim ‘lying further down the track, lying without any sign of life’.

News and Star: Vital Moments from Keswick MRT.  Credit: Keswick MRT.

News and Star: Vital Moments from Keswick MRT. Credit: Keswick MRT.

Keswick MRT Vital Moments. Credit: Keswick MRT.

“Despite the fact that by all appearances the man was lifeless, current medical guidelines and our team’s training tell us that a victim is not dead until they are warm and dead. To this end, the victim is treated as if they were still alive,” he added. they said.

The team of 24 volunteers from Keswick and two volunteers from Penrith MRT orchestrated life-saving cuts, as the team prepared for the arrival of Coast Guard 936 Rescue Helicopter from Caernarfon.

Mr Price was then airlifted to A&E at RVI Hospital in Newcastle and on arrival his core temperature was found to be 18.8 degrees.

“It was one of the lowest body temperatures anyone has survived – a truly remarkable survival story and a testament to the professionalism of everyone involved,” they said.

News and Star: A reunion of members Tommy, Max and Keswick MRT.

News and Star: A reunion of members Tommy, Max and Keswick MRT.

A meeting of members Tommy, Max and Keswick MRT.

The runner remained in a coma for four days after the incident, only to wake up confused as to what had happened and ask for a “cola”.

Six months later, Tommy made a full recovery, apart from serious nerve problems in his hands and feet.

With resilience, runner Fell is preparing to take part in the London Marathon in October, all on behalf of the Keswick MRT.

On his justgiving page, Tommy wrote: “I was clinically dead between 2:14 and 3:20 and if not for the volunteers and doctors who work for mountain rescue I wouldn’t be here today!

“Please give all you can – everything helps these amazing people to continue saving lives,” he said.

To donate to Tommy’s fundraising effort, click here.

READ MORE: Carlisle MP John Stevenson has his say on Leveling Up North scheme


About Author

Comments are closed.