Rollerblades vs skates | Fox 8 Cleveland WJW
Are rollerblades or roller skates better?
If you are thinking about learning to skate, you might be wondering if you should buy traditional inline skates or quad roller skates. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, so it’s not as simple as saying that one option is better than the other.
Inline skates have all of their wheels set up, making them quick and responsive, and better on rough terrain. Roller skates have two pairs of wheels side by side which provide a more stable base for beginners and make them ideal for skating on rinks, skateparks and other smooth surfaces.
What are rollerblades?
Rollerblades – or inline skates – have three to five wheels aligned one behind the other. This setup can make them more difficult to balance for new skaters, although the longer wheelbase has some advantages when balancing front and rear. However, once you learn how to use them, inline skates are quick and responsive.
The great thing about rollerblades when you are learning to skate is that you are unlikely to click the wheels of one skate into the wheels of the other skate and trip, which is a great experience. most common when learning to skate. Expect to pay between $ 50 and $ 300 for a pair of inline skates.
What you’ll love about inline skates
- Inline skates have larger wheels than roller skates, making them faster and better suited for activities where speed is essential, such as roller hockey.
- Large wheels also provide a smoother ride on rough surfaces, so roller skates are a better choice than roller skates for skating on sidewalks and trails with a few bumps and cracks.
- While you may find yourself wobbling from side to side, the skates’ long vertical wheelbase makes you less likely to fall forward or backward compared to roller skates.
- Rollerblades are great for weaving and are very responsive to lateral leg movements due to the tall boots.
What you should consider about inline skates
- Most beginner skaters feel less stable when using inline skates compared to roller skates.
- It can be difficult to make tight turns and complex maneuvers while maintaining stability while wearing inline skates.
If you’ve decided that inline skates are the right choice, you still need to find your perfect pair. For serious skaters, the Epic Skates Engage 3 Wheel Inline Speed Skates are a great choice. Their extra-wide wheels allow you to go fast and ride smoothly over bumps and cracks in the sidewalk.
The Rollerblade Advantage Pro XT inline skates are a great mid-range choice for skaters of all skill levels. They are durable and support with a rear brake for easy stopping.
LIKU Professional inline skates have thick and durable outer shells, but with ventilation holes so your feet don’t overheat. They offer a nice balance between speed and stability.
If you are buying inline skates for a kid, we love the Xino Sports Kids inline skates, which are adjustable in size and have fun, light-up wheels.
What are roller skates?
Roller skates feature two pairs of wheels side by side, each pair on its own axle – or “truck” – like on a car or skateboard. Roller skates existed long before rollerblades, so they’re sometimes seen as old-fashioned or not cool, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Roller skates are often used for park skating on halfpipes and ramps and for roller derby, and you can’t get much cooler than that.
Roller skates – also known as four-wheel skates – offer a wide wheelbase that feels stable, although you’re still likely to fall when learning. Roller skates are relatively inexpensive, with basic models costing between $ 20 and $ 60, although more expensive offerings can cost $ 200 or more.
What you’ll love about roller skates
- The short wheelbase and the moving trucks on roller skates make them very manoeuvrable while remaining stable, which is perfect for roller derby and artistic roller skating (like roller dancing).
- The roller skate front stop allows skaters to slow down and stop easily.
- As long as you are on a smooth surface, you can make extremely tight turns when wearing roller skates.
- Side-by-side wheels tend to make new skaters more stable.
- You can find roller skates in a wide range of colors, patterns and designs.
What you should consider about roller skates
- Due to their smaller wheels and shorter wheelbase, roller skates don’t perform as well on rough or uneven surfaces. They are great on an ice rink or skatepark, but not so good on cracked or bumpy sidewalks.
- You can’t pick up as much speed on an average pair of roller skates as an average pair of roller skates.
Top roller skates
Impala four-wheel skates are a great high-end choice that comes in a range of fun designs including holographic silver, black glitter, and floral print. They are well made and suitable for a range of skate based activities.
Riedell Skates four wheel roller skates are the perfect option for skaters who need speed. They are faster than average roller skates and provide a smooth ride.
Roller Derby Roller Star Skates are affordable skates designed to meet the needs of roller derby players. That said, they are versatile enough for general street skating and even park skating.
Crazy Skates Rocket Roller Skates are perfect for kids who want to get started in roller skating or who have grown up with their old skates. They are reasonably priced but work well.
Should I buy rollerblades or roller skates?
There is no definitive answer as to whether you should buy inline skates or roller skates. If you are just starting out, you might find that you feel more stable on four-wheel skates, but it’s perfectly fine to learn to skate on roller skates too.
In fact, some people find them easier. If you are looking to get into roller derby, go for roller skates rather than roller skates as they will give you more maneuverability and stability when checking out or checking out. For sheer speed, however, inline skates are your best bet. They are also better for slightly uneven terrain.
Lauren Corona is a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help you simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
Copyright 2021 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.
Suggest a correction