King’s former assistant was awarded £60,000 when he left the Prince’s Foundation | the monarchy

0

A former aide to the king received a £60,000 reward when he quit the Prince’s Foundation amid a cash-for-honours scandal, it has emerged.

Michael Fawcett received the money after revelations he offered to help a Saudi donor obtain knighthood and British citizenship.

A police investigation into the sale of honors under the Honors (Prevention of Abuse) Act 1925 is continuing. Officers questioned two men on bail September 6, two days before the Queen’s death.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police said the investigation had progressed and evidence had been handed over to the prosecution on October 31. No arrests were made.

Accounts show that Fawcett, as “chief supplier”, received £59,582, including £21,923 in paid leave plus £877 in pension contributions.

The foundation also provided an additional £1,200 for “independent legal advice”.

Fawcett, Chris Martin, a senior fundraising executive, and Douglas Connell, the chairman, have resigned from the charity based in Dumfries House, Ayrshire.

The Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator is also investigating claims that a donation of hundreds of thousands of pounds appears to have disappeared after being handed over to intermediaries working with the charity.

The latest accounts confirm that the king will remain president of the foundation despite his ascension to the throne.

They state: ‘During the financial year, the foundation was the subject of a number of press articles about fundraising practices at the Prince’s Foundation in relation to certain donations historically received by the body charitable. These reports included questions of “cash for honors”, according to which certain donations were allegedly obtained in exchange for access to the president of the foundation, and the support of the foundation or related entities for the appointments of donors in relation to the British honors system.

“Following these press reports, the Office of the Scottish Charities Regulator has launched an investigation into the foundation and its governance.

”The Trustees are also aware that the Metropolitan Police are investigating alleged breaches under the Honors (Prevention of Abuse) Act 1925.

“The risks highlighted and considered include the potential for legal, regulatory, employee and reputational risks. The Trustees accept the reputational risk arising from these events as probable.”

The Mail on Sunday published a letter from 2017 last year in which Fawcett allegedly wrote that he was prepared to apply to change the honorary CBE of businessman Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz to a KBE and support their citizenship application.

The letter, written on letterhead when Fawcett was then chief executive of the Dumfries House Trust, said the requests would be made in response to the trust’s “latest and most anticipated support”. Mahfouz has denied any wrongdoing.

The following year Dumfries House became part of the Prince’s Foundation, created by the merger of several of Charles’ charities, and Fawcett was appointed chief executive.

Clarence House said in September 2021 that Charles had ‘no knowledge of the alleged offer of honors or British citizenship on the basis of a donation to his charities’ and insisted he supported fully investigated by the Prince’s Foundation.

The foundation told the Mail on Sunday: ‘We do not discuss individual staff salaries or payments.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.