$ 2.5 Million Lotto Ticket + New Amazon Fresh Planned: Saturday Smiles
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA – If you’re looking for the bright side of news, we’re here to help. Patch has sweet Southern California stories that we hope you enjoy.
Riverside County receives $ 2.5 million in grants to reduce wildfire risk
- Cal Fire said that of the 105 projects expected to receive statewide fire prevention grants, four are in the county.
San Diego Public Safety Agencies Obtain Forest Fire Prevention Grants
- Four firefighting agencies in the San Diego area will receive state grants to help them fund their forest fire prevention and preparedness programs.
Find your local California Coastal Cleanup Day event
- September is Coastal Cleanup Month, and on September 18, dozens of beach cleanups will take place along the California coast.
British Airways resumes San Diego-London flights
- British Airways is the first airline to resume non-stop service from San Diego to the UK since March 2020.
Northern fulmar, rescued at Seal Beach, teams go to sea
- This waterlogged seagull was rescued in June, according to specialists at Wetlands & Wildlife Care. On Friday, the gull was released into the wild.
Legislation introduced to keep Marine Corps recruit depot open
- The San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot has served as the recruit training center for the western United States since 1923.
A free hazardous waste disposal site will open for 1 day in CatCity
- Drop-off is 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Edom Hill Transfer Station, 70-100 Edom Hill Road.
2 more US citizens able to escape Afghanistan, says Issa
- An 80-year-old couple – residents of California’s 50th Congressional District – are on their way home, Rep. Darrell Issa said.
‘Danger!’ Scene dedicated to the late host Alex Trebek
- “Danger!” dedicated its production phase to the show that aired Monday, renaming it in honor of late host Alex Trebek.
SD Housing Commission launches Affordable Housing Dashboard
- Households looking for affordable housing in San Diego can find location information in a new online tool.
Palm Springs Leader Selected for CA Transgender Advisory Board
- The California Transgender Advisory Council is considered the first of its kind in the country.
RivCo Halloween Events 2021: Trick-Or-Treats and Haunted Houses
- Your fall guide to pumpkin fields, corn mazes, hay walks, festivals, Day of the Dead extravagances, and more throughout the Empire of the Interior.
Food and restaurants
Claremont Craft Ales Medals at the Great American Beer Festival
- The Claremont brewery won a bronze medal for its “Happy Days”, an imperial red beer.
The family-run Mexican restaurant Emilio’s will open its doors on Lake Elsinore
- Emilio’s Mexican Restaurant & Cantina has been operating in San Jacinto since 1983. Now the family is opening a second location.
Supervisors take the first step to empowering home cooking businesses
- Home kitchens, known as “MEHKO”, can be licensed county by county.
Temecula wine region tourism marketing district rises
- County supervisors tentatively approved a five-year renewal on Tuesday, and a public hearing on Oct. 5 is scheduled on the matter.
The committee approves the “Spaces As Places” outdoor dining program
- San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria’s Spaces as Places program will be presented to full city council in October.
Amazon Fresh Grocery Store to Open First IE Location in Murrieta
- Only eight Amazon Fresh stores are currently located in California. The first store opened to the public in Los Angeles in September 2020.
Health and science
Prebys Cancer Center opens at Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego
- The Prebys Cancer Center is part of the Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center, a program that treats patients in San Diego County.
New COVID-19 treatment center opens in Riverside County
- The RUHS Medical Center Monoclonal Antibody Treatment Center is the first publicly funded clinic of its kind in the county.
Hood Foundation gives USCD $ 3 million to endow public health chair
- The donation is intended to support excellence in public health research, education and practice at UC San Diego.
County Supervisors Vote 3-1 For Reproductive Freedom Resolution
- The board of directors voted 3-1 to declare San Diego County a “champion of reproductive freedom.”
If you have a cool story idea in your city, let us know. Email your story tips to [email protected]